Iowa is the #1 state in the country, according to a new study from U.S. News & World Report. Gov. Kim Reynolds appeared on CBS This Morning on Tuesday to make the announcement about the 2018 Best States ranking.
“Our Best States ranking is a humbling tribute to our people who have proven time and again that in Iowa, if you’re willing to work hard, you can accomplish anything,” Gov. Reynolds said. “My top priority as governor is to build on our current success by bringing new resources and opportunities to every corner of our state. Every Iowan contributes to the success of their community and our state, and we celebrate this honor knowing that our work to build a better Iowa will never be finished.”
U.S. News & World Report is the global authority in rankings and evaluated all 50 states across 77 metrics with thousands of data points in eight categories: health care, education, economy, opportunity, infrastructure, crime & corrections, fiscal stability and quality of life. Health care and education are the most highly weighted factors in the methodology, followed closely by the economy.
Nebraska ranked #7 and South Dakota ranked #14.
Health care: Iowa ranks #3 in healthcare, up two spots from 2017
• #2 for health care affordability
• #1 for child wellness visits
• #2 for low infant mortality rate
• #3 for Medicare quality
• #5 for insurance enrollment
• #5 for health care access
• #9 for health care quality
Education: Iowa ranks #5 in education, up three spots from 2017
• #1 public high school graduation rate
• #3 for four-year graduation rates for four-year public colleges
Economy: Iowa ranks No. 17 in economy, up 13 spots from 2017
• #10 for labor force participation
• #6 for low unemployment & GDP growth
Opportunity: Iowa ranks No. 4 in opportunity, up two spots from 2017
• #3 in affordability
• #2 in housing
Infrastructure: Iowa ranks No. 1 in infrastructure, up 15 spots from 2017
• #1 for ultra-fast internet access
Quality of life (new category for 2018)
• #10 in social environment
• #18 in natural environment
Iowa ranked #6 in the 2017 Best States ranking.